Posts Tagged ‘NHL’
NHL, News - Thursday, May 13, 2010 18:36 - 0 Comments
MONTREAL (AP) — Forty-one people were arrested in the mayhem after the Montreal Canadiens’ Game 7 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Some stores were looted and police fired tear gas at hundreds of bottle-throwers.
The Canadiens ousted the defending champions Wednesday night to reach the Eastern Conference final against Boston or Philadelphia, prompting a celebration that degenerated into the looting of several businesses along the Sainte-Catherine Street shopping district.
Those arrested early Thursday were charged with breaking and entering, theft, assault and public mischief, police chief inspector Sylvain Lemay said
Police estimated as many as 50,000 people took part in celebration outside the downtown arena. More than 20,000 filed out of the Bell Centre after the 5-2 victory. Many of these fans moved a few blocks north to join those along Sainte-Catherine Street.
Lemay said 400 to 500 people were partying when looting began after midnight. A sporting goods outlet and a liquor store were hit hard.
The scene, however, was not as chaotic as it was two years ago when cars were burned and downtown stores were trashed and looted after the Canadiens beat Boston in the first round of the playoffs. There also were riots after Montreal’s Stanley Cup victories in 1986 and 1993.
“There was very little damage compared to 2008,” Lemay said.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
- Devils coach Jacques Lemaire retires
- Satan’s goal in 2nd OT gives Boston 3-2 win
- Ovechkin scores 2 goals, Capitals beat Canadiens
- Crosby’s 4 points lead Penguins over Senators
- Backstrom’s hat trick helps Caps beat Habs in OT
- Zetterberg scores 3 times, Red Wings even series
- Zubrus scores with 4:04 to go, Devils tie series
- Crosby stars as Pens beat Sens 2-1
- Ovechkin suspended for Capitals’ next 2 games
Most Popular Content
- Ex-Texas football star, fiancee ready for wedding
- Dolphins’ Patrick Cobbs focused on getting his knee and head right
- Bears cornerback Corey Graham coming up fast
- 4 NFL coaches visit troops in Afghanistan
- Brees’ new memoir not just about winning
- Carroll constantly ‘on’ in 1st Seattle offseason
- Long HRs, 21-game hit streak for patient Hamilton
- Upon further review, FIFA will study replay
- Tiger of old threatens to make Open appearance
- Saints celebrate title again with ring ceremony
- Jackson heads into Game 7 facing uncertain future
- not sure if he'll be used as much as he was before the injury TBH...
- As long as he continues NOT to rock the boat, I'm all for him on the Texans...
- A friend of mine just emailed me one of your articles from a while back. I read...
- LeBron should go LA ... and play with the Clippers! He'd be as marketable in Ti...
- i was hoping he would just keep his mouth shut -- like Clemens, the more he talk...
- Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article...
- This time is one moment for to find good things, how your site, that to bring gr...
- It'll be good to see some new strategy on the Bulls. I think they really have mo...